Sunday, August 5, 2007

Entirely Too Much Yarn

"Having an employee discount means it's your DUTY to buy too much yarn! Not doing so would anger the yarn gods. :D" -Cyn, of Half-Assed Knits fame

I suppose it was inevitable that I start going c.r.a.z.y. with the yarn purchases. Actually, my spending habits are still probably pretty tame compared to some out there but hey I'm still a college student with no $$$$ trying to save up for, you know, life? Every day at work is a constant battle to deny myself yarn. And lately there's been more giving in than resisiting.

Not only that, I've been buying yarn online. I get scolded by my bosses every time I mention it, but I can't resist the prices at Knit Picks. So I've been obsessing over the patterns in Twinkle's Big City Knits since I got in a couple of months ago, and the time is right that I start making some stuff! First project: The Chelsea Sweater


The patterns calls for 4 strands of Twinkle Cruise held together but I'm going to use Knit Picks Shine Sport, one of my favorite yarns. Can't wait for it to arrive! I also ordered some Palette (fingering weight wool) to make a fair isle beret. The Shine Sport is only $2.49/skein and the Palette is only $1.99/skein but I got...a lot...so it adds up you know?

And I've been agonizing over which yarn to use for the Groovy Sweater Dress...



...so I've decided to take the plunge and use the Twinkle Soft Chunky that it calls for, so it's going to be the most expensive project I've ever done. If you've noticed, I generally use yarns other than the ones called for in the pattern. Sometimes it's because I have a different yarn I'm dying to try or I like the thrill of the hunt for a good substitute, but usually it's because I'm cheap and I *must* be able to find a cheaper alternative, right? Well for this sweater I'm not going to unless I want it to look shitty so good bye budget! I'll make up for it by using Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick & Quick for the Hideout Coat. Won't be as warm as all wool but it's a decent yarn with nice color choices.