Monday, June 25, 2007

S'il vous PLAIT

I cast on for the Grecian Plaits top today. Don't worry--the various gifts are still on track. I just wanted to get my hands on that oh-so-soft Royal Bamboo. The yarn does split a little bit but it's just so luscious that I forgive its faults. Now, as for the pattern, I wish that the cable pattern were clearer. I usually assume that Row 1 is the right side and that the even rows are the wrong side. However, the cables in the chart are in Rows 2 and 6. So after knitting one pattern repeat, I'm definitely going to have to make the odd rows the wrong side. No biggie...I'm only 8 rows in. This is a top-down top which I've never really done before. I knit the cable yoke, grafting the beginning to the end, then pick up stitches and work my way down.

I also swatched for my Katharine Hepburn Cardigan. I'm using Knit Picks Shine Sport and oh boy is this stuff soft! The cable/lace pattern is straightforward enough, and my gauge was correct so that project's a go when the time comes. I'm doing the cropped version because (1) I think it's more unique and (2) it takes less yarn! Not that it would really matter with the Shine Sport. It's what like $2.50 a skein? Not bad for delicious Pima cotton and Modal. It's going to be a joy to work with.